2020-03-21 16:37:14 UTC
Second sleeve finished. I'm going to put this one down again for a little while, but at least I don't have second sleeve syndrome hanging over me. I worked a tubular bind off for the cuff, separating stitches on to two needles without a setup row or any funky twisting. I'm still not crazy about how the bind off looks, but it's the best I've got so far.
2020-01-04 21:11:39 UTC
This project is resting a bit for right now. I finished the first sleeve per the last journal entry and that came out fine, but I was too exasperated to start the next one.
2019-11-11 10:00:00 UTC
Finished working the first sleeve, and it came out too snug this time. So I frogged back, again, to after the sixth total decrease (the first one in the second row plus five more) and will be knitting straight from there.
2019-10-06 10:00:00 UTC
I worked a few inches of the sleeve, realized the decreases were coming too fast, and frogged back to readjust and space the decreases out over the length of the sleeve. I'm bringing it up to decreasing in the second row, then every eight rows after that.
2019-09-23 10:07:55 UTC
I wound up steeking for 4" down from the underarm, knitting a seed stitch wedge, and stitching it down over the steeked edges. It's not the prettiest thing going, but it'll be relatively inconspicuous when the sleeve is in, and my husband reports that the underarm is no longer troublesome. Now that I have that out of the way, I'm moving on to the sleeves.
I'm picking up 68 stitches around the armhole, and otherwise working as written. (I will of course be adjusting sleeve length.)
2019-09-18 10:00:32 UTC
I've made it to the shoulder bind-off so now it's basically a vest. My suspicions about the lack of extra underarm stitches were correct: they are making for an uncomfortable fit. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do it yet, but I have a will and a copy of Knitting Without Tears so I'm going to add those underarm stitches before I start the sleeves. If I knit this again I will add four extra stitches to the wide underarm seed stitch bands, perhaps by increasing over the last four inches before the split.
2019-08-22 10:00:06 UTC
Finished ripping back to the ribbing, and started again with a size 5 needle which should give me 34-35". I'll also shorten the length to 22" overall, from 25.5". I'll take the armhole diameter down to 9", probably by reducing the back and front lengths by 1/2", and that gives me 13" of body to work with. 3" ribbing, 3" stockinette, and the welt and pattern make up the rest.
2019-08-21 10:00:00 UTC
Turns out that my measured gauge was off, so the size 7 needle was shaping up to give me 39" instead of 37". Soooo... I'm going to rip back to the ribbing and start again with a smaller needle. Heck, I might shoot for negative ease, just to have assurance that it won't be a giant sack! We'll see how the swatches turn out. The 2x2 ribbing turned out well enough on the 5s that I don't feel a need to use a smaller needle for that too.
I always had to go up a hook size when I crocheted, so I'm not sure how I came to be such a loose knitter.
2019-08-18 11:04:00 UTC
I've had the Fylingdales cardigan from Lisa Lloyd's A Fine Fleece in my queue for a while. I want to make a cardigan for my husband to make up for the saggy floppy superwishywashy mess that is the first one I made him. (He's strictly forbidden to wear that one off of our property.)
I'm slimming this one down by adjusting my gauge. The pattern calls for aran/heavy worsted, and this yarn is closer to a "standard" worsted.
Another knitter says that she slimmed down the sleeves, and I think I will be doing the same. I certainly picked an interesting roomy pattern for a slim frame
I'd forgotten how much I enjoy knitting this particular base yarn! It's springy but firm, dense without being too heavy. W2D4 says it's a favorite of sweater knitters, and I agree wholeheartedly.
Started this yesterday. I've finished the lower 3" of ribbing with the size 5 needles and have worked one row of stockinette on the size 7s. Alternating two balls since this is a hand-dyed yarn.